This is an image on a cardboard box scavenged from the grocery store for my last move, but I've kept it around because I just love the design. My mother had a friend who used to collect antique fruit crates and their labels. If you look on ebay or even do an image search on Google you can find some gorgeous examples, all of which are far more pricey than my free box. This one reminds me of 1940s Florida, the pretty orange blossoms to the right, the swanky concept and typography of "Pure Gold", and the big slice of orange. Actually, the big slice brings a bit of pop art into the mix, which makes sense since Warhol was openly inspired by commercialism and logos. The designer Todd Oldham has a collection of HUGE prints of ice cream which apparently were once used to advertise at soda counters and are now worth loads of money....supposedly having influenced Warhol and Wayne Thiebaud. Ah, I could do an entire blog on food in art and advertising.
Tuesday, October 13, 2009
Historical Reused in a Contemporary Setting
This is an image on a cardboard box scavenged from the grocery store for my last move, but I've kept it around because I just love the design. My mother had a friend who used to collect antique fruit crates and their labels. If you look on ebay or even do an image search on Google you can find some gorgeous examples, all of which are far more pricey than my free box. This one reminds me of 1940s Florida, the pretty orange blossoms to the right, the swanky concept and typography of "Pure Gold", and the big slice of orange. Actually, the big slice brings a bit of pop art into the mix, which makes sense since Warhol was openly inspired by commercialism and logos. The designer Todd Oldham has a collection of HUGE prints of ice cream which apparently were once used to advertise at soda counters and are now worth loads of money....supposedly having influenced Warhol and Wayne Thiebaud. Ah, I could do an entire blog on food in art and advertising.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I love this typeface - it reminds me of Paris (or maybe of a typeface I may have seen named "Parisian").
ReplyDeleteI'm pretty sure I have seen this font on historical travel posters, as well. I've wasted hours before on AllPosters.com looking at them - they're really great. A lot of them have what might be an Art Deco feel to them... I haven't studied very much art history, so I'm not entirely sure what encompasses Art Deco.
Here's the first page of some of the old travel posters on the allposters.com site:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.allposters.com/-st/Travel-Ads-Vintage-Art-Posters_c6439_.htm